Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I Need Your Input!

Our kids are getting to the age that they are figuring out what money is. Seth and I are in the process of trying to teach them how to save money. I want them to put it straight into the bank, I feel they are much to young to manage their money. Seth feels that having it in a piggy bank at home, will be more of an incentive. We are at a crossroads of what to do. What do/did you do to teach your kids/self how to save your money? Since I. is a little more CEO based, he tends to like to farm out the work on his little sis, I'd really like to teach him the value of hard work. I don't want money just to be handed over, I want him to really have to work for it because then he won't be apt to spend it so quickly. I have noticed at the store that impulse buying is going to be a vice for him. Any advertisement sitting out, he immediately is intrigued. This is new for him and Aria could care less at this moment. I don't want them to grow up being cheap, but I also don't want them to spend like crazy. What have you found worked/works to manage this fine line? I don't want them to feel like we are controlling their savings, but in a way, don't we have to? I realize that Seth and I could have never foreseen our future to be as it is, so I don't know that financially we could have saved for all that we have been through. Yet, I can't help but wonder if would have started when we were much younger that maybe we would have made wiser choices. I'd love your suggestions, we need them!

No comments: