Friday, November 26, 2010

The Simple Things


So here it is, the first family picture in ages. We have attempted this many times before, but our kids tend to get a severe case of the wiggles. So we went out on a limb and prayed for a Thanksgiving miracle and got it! I must say the look on my face is a bit mischievous, but Seth has assured me it looks good, but I think he might be pulling one over on me;) This past month has been such an eye opening one, but in a very good way. I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but when I am feeling down and out, I like to spend money. With all this black Friday stuff, I feel like Satan has been waving temptations in my face. I have been really trying hard to simplify our lives and just learn to be content with what we have. As a parent, I find myself constantly trying to encourage my kids to share and to be content with the things that they have. Yet, I find myself going out and buying things to make myself feel better. Sure, it's not something normally fancy. In fact it just might be something simple as a salty treat or whatever, but still it's quite hypocritical on my part. So here I am, hiding out from the black Friday shopapalooza, thinking about buying a new bedding set for only $100 (but not doing it!), or maybe a new sweater to hide my muffin top. The only thing we indulged in was a toaster over for $20 that Seth has been salivating over long since before we were married. So today we are having a family day after having a wonderful Thanksgiving. The kids got along great with their wonderful cousins and Seth and I got some much needed adult time. As I have begun to check my messages, I am finding so many others in such great need. A friend whose son has Leukemia and now the whole family has the stomach flu, another whose water bag was punctured during a much needed surgery and now their baby needs many prayers to stay in so she can finish out her pregnancy, another child who lost his battle to cancer yesterday. I have found these stories to encourage me not to take one moment for granted. All of the worldly things that I so easily get caught up in, really don't matter. I am glad I read their stories, as now the temptation isn't there, instead it shifts my focus to what really matters. Community, love, and time. Even us, who have learned these lessons first hand, still need reminders to help us focus on what is truly important. I experienced this first hand this morning as Seth let me sleep in. When I woke up, I was bombarded with hugs from my wonderful family. Aria kept on wrapping her arms around me and saying "Mmmmm, great hug!" Isaiah of course wanted to show me his latest find in his latest book. Seth was happily informing me of all that went on before I woke up. I was only separated from them few hours and they missed me so much. The cutest part of my day so far was watching Seth learn how to braid Aria's hair. I have been trying to teach Seth how to do her hair. My Dad used to do my hair, and I feel it is important that he learn something that can really be quite the bonding experience (I teach him domestic things, he teaches me how to do household construction, it's a fair trade). Plus, if I am not able to do it, then he can. Aria sat really still as we passed her back and forth while I showed him how to do it. It took a few tries and he'll need much more practice, but Seth did really well! I really admire him. Seth works so hard for our family, and really tries so hard in all that he does. I don't think he realizes the impact he is making on our children to see their father love on them so much. Instead of doing things he wants to do, he plays with the kids or listens to me talk about my latest passion. Every day we are reminded that Eli and Rory aren't here, but holidays really emphasize their absence. We became better spouses to each other and parents to our kids because of their lives. We have been through so much, and we have learned nothing is guaranteed. Every day is a miracle. Whether it be bad or good, it's another day with our loved ones. It's really the simple things in life that really bring you joy, a sunny day, your kids getting along, or watching your husband braid your daughter's hair for the first time. My kids are healthy and I don't take that for granted. So I encourage you after all that you do, to sit down, let go of your worries, give G-d thanks, pray for others, and just be in the moment. I imagine Aurora and Elijah are singing, playing, eating, dancing in Heaven. I don't think they are worried how they look or that they don't have the right clothes, they are just enjoying G-d's grace. We don't have to be in Heaven to enjoy this ourselves. Instead, we can bring Heaven to Earth and just appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we don't have. Watch, pray, believe, and be amazed.

No comments: